Carson City Host Lions Club Scholarship Program
The Carson City Host Lions Club may award one or more scholarships up to $2,000, payable $500 per semester if the student meets the eligibility requirements listed below. The scholarship is awarded to a full-time student enrolled in a program that leads to a vocational certificate or degree at an accredited community college or trade, technical or vocational school. The total award may be less than $2,000 if the certificate or degree is achieved in less than two years. The scholarship must be used within three years of the award date or it is forfeited.
The Carson City Host Lions Club appoints a Scholarship Committee which holds candidate interviews in April. The Scholarship Committee considers quality of the application, the candidate’s demonstrated community service, demonstrated work history, scholastic achievements, and the candidate’s financial need. The Scholarship Committee also considers the grade point average, the difficulty of the student curriculum, the extracurricular and community involvement of the applicant, work activities, written remarks, and written accolades from an unrelated teacher, counselor, or school administrator, as well as written accolades from a work or community-service supervisor. Students that are visually impaired, hearing impaired, or physically impaired will be entitled to extra consideration by the Scholarship Committee.
- The applicant must be a Carson High School senior and Nevada Resident who has completed at least two complete school years at Carson High School. Seniors from Pioneer High may also be considered.
- The applicant must complete high school with at least a 2.75 weighted or unweighted grade-point average on a 4.0 grading scale.
- All high school credit-bearing courses accepted toward fulfilling the high school’s graduation requirements will be used in calculating the final grade point average.
- Awards are for full-time students enrolled in a program that leads to a vocational certificate or degree at an accredited community college or trade, technical or vocational school.
- All components of this application must be completed in order to be eligible.
Continuing Eligibility Requirements
- Make satisfactory academic progress toward a recognized degree from a community college or vocational or trade school certificate;
- Maintain at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA during each semester of enrollment; and
- Satisfactorily complete the minimum credit requirements of 9 semester credits at a community college or equivalent full-time status at a trade or vocational school.
Scholarship Applications May Be Obtained at the Guidance Office at Carson High.